by Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery
Nose Surgery or Rhinoplasty is another cosmetic surgery performed by our surgeons at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery. Nose Surgery is a surgery we perform for patients seeking to improve the appearance of their nose as it is a predominant feature of the face. Patients elect to have nose surgery for many reasons. In come cases cosmetic alteration of the nose is performed to alter one’s appearance. In other cases, nose surgery is needed to improve the airways or nostrils of the nose for improved breathing. And still others require nose surgery after accidents. Whatever your reason for considering nose surgery, we hope this information helps you learn more about this procedure. We would also encourage you to contact our offices to schedule a consultation to learn more about nose surgery and allow us to help you determine if nose surgery is right for you.
Your Medical Insurance Provider may be able to help:
Generally, most insurance companies will provide some type of coverage or reimbursement for nose surgery if there is a degree of difficulty or you experience problems breathing, and have the problem documented as an anatomical problem that warrants corrective at surgery. Coverage may vary depending on the type of surgery so you should consult your medical insurance provider for coverage details. Rhinoplsty procedures that are usually covered are:
- Septal Surgery
- Correction of nasal fractures (either open or closed)
- Turbinate surgery
- Reconstruction of nasal deformities with cartilage grafts – This may be applicable in patients who have had previous rhinoplasty procedures.
Your doctor will carefully advise you on how to prepare for surgery and it is important to follow your pre-operative instructions to avoid complications during and after surgery. The following information will most likely be discussed and can give you an idea of what will be involved in preparing for nose surgery:
- It is important that you not take aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications prior to surgery.
- If you smoke, quit smoking at least two weeks before your surgery, and plan on not smoking during your recovery. Smoking greatly increases the risk of complications and slows the healing process.
- Make arrangements to be driven to surgery and home after your surgery.
- It is a good idea to arrange for someone to care for you the first 24-72 hours after surgery.
- Fill all prescriptions before surgery.
- Set up your recovery area ahead of time. You’ll want to have plenty of pillows, and easy access to entertainment while you recover.
- Prepare Icepacks. Frozen veggies or fruit work well in reducing post-operative swelling.
- And follow your physician’s directions carefully regarding medications, eating & drinking after surgery.
There are numerous other convenience considerations you’ll want to think about. Just know that you will most likely need to be resting for a week or two, and the more you can arrange things ahead of time the better.
Depending on the desired result of your surgery, your surgeon will select one of two techniques: closed rhinoplasty and open rhinoplasty.
Open rhinoplasty uses a small incision across the columella, (the area between the nostrils) and incisions on the inside of your nose. This proceedure is usually selected for more complicated proceedures.
Using one of the two techniques above, your surgeon can change or adjust most any aspect of your nose by recontouring the underlying cartilage and bone with special surgical instruments. Most of the incisions for reshaping the nose are made internally and scars will not be visible.
The operation normally lasts about one to two hours and is performed under local anesthesia with heavy sedation, or under general anesthesia depending on your particular requirements.
Some of the most common changes that are made during Nose Surgery are:
- Adjustments made to the tip of the nose by adding or removing cartilage.
- A hump of the bridge of the nose can be corrected by removing excess bone and cartilage.
- A wide nose can be corrected by breaking the nose and repositioning the bones of the nose inward
- The lower portion of the nose can be corrected by removing tissue at the base of the nose and positioning the nostrals closer together.
- Trimming the septum of the nose or the area of your nose between you nostrals can correct the angle of the bottom of the nose. This can make mostrals less visible.
Nose Surgery Recovery
Your recovery will be closely supervised by your surgeon and will most likely involve the following instructions:
- We may advise you to apply cold, dry compresses to your nose often.
- You should avoid using nasal medications for three months.
- Use a humidifier to keep the air your breathing humid.
- Use saline nose spray for two weeks to keep the inside of the nose moist.
- Keep your head elevated to reduce swelling.
- Avoid blowing or touching your nose as much as possible for four weeks to reduce bleeding and prevent abnormal healing.
Immediately after surgery, your surgeon will typically use a splint to maintain the new shape of your nose. It may also be necessary to use soft plastic splints inside the nostrils to stabilize the septum. This is usually only necessary for a few days.
After nose surgery, it is perfectly normal for your nose and eyes to be swollen and bruised and to experience general swelling in your face. How much bruising and swelling you experience will depend on the complexity of your surgery and any breaking of bone that may have been necessary. You should not be alarmed if swelling increases in the first day after surgery and know that discoloration and swelling will begin to decrease after a few days.
As we mentioned earlier, it is important for nose surgery patients to keep the head elevated during the day and while sleeping. This greatly helps reduce swelling and reduces recovery time.
On average, nose surgery patients are usually able to return to work in between ten days and three weeks depending on their particular surgery.
Results will vary from person to person depending on your particular proceedure. However we are very proud to have made such a positive difference for so many of our patients. If you are considering Nose Surgery, please feel free to contact any of the Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery offices below to schedule a consultation. We would be pleased to discuss the details of nose surgery and how this procedure might be right for you.
For a first hand review of the Nose Surgery procedures we have performaed at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery, feel free to review the before and after photo galleries of our surgeons below:
Thank you for visiting Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery online! We look forward to hearing from you.