Exfoliate; Spring Out of the Old and In With Your New Radiant Skin
On average your skin can shed 30,000 to 40,000 dead cells per minute. Exfoliation is very important when rejuvenating weary winter skin. Exposure to the “dry” indoor heat during the winter months can drain moisture from the skin and add layers of dead skin cells, leaving your skin feeling heavy and looking unhealthy. Exfoliation involves the removal of these dead skin cells from the outer layer, leaving your skin feeling fresh and looking radiant and smooth. While some women have (genetically) healthier skin than others, most need exfoliating products to remove these dead skin cells and help offset the appearance of dry, dull skin, acne, scarring and other skin imperfections. Exfoliating will help restore the smooth glowing appearance to your skin that those with genetically healthier skin have naturally. But it’s also very important that you hydrate the skin after you exfoliate. Some women who exfoliate their faces, forget about other body parts; that is until spring rolls around and we panic at the thought of wearing a bikini. We wouldn’t wear a new pair of cute sandals without polishing our toenails, would we? Well, would you wear a bikini without polishing your skin? There are many ways to exfoliate and these are a few of my favorites: My personal favorites of “must have” products are:
- Clarisonic Brush for the face and body
- Clarisonic Pedi System for sandal-ready feet
- Environ Body System which includes Derma-Lac Lotion and Enhanced Body oil. These products contain Lactic Acid and also Vitamins A, C, and E.
- SkinMedica AHA/BHA Cleanser and Moisturizer
- Obagi Exfoderm/Exfoderm-Forte
Other at-home tools to help with the exfoliation process:
- Exfoliating Cleansers
- Loofah or Body Brushes
- Exfoliating Glove
- Pumice Stone
- Body Lotions, containing exfoliating ingredients, such as Lactic Acid
For those of you that prefer a more professional exfoliation, I highly recommend the following:
- Chemical Peel: this procedure will require some planning because you will have some peeling. Most patients peel for approximately 3 to 4 days.
- Microdermabrasion is also a great procedure that requires literally no downtime and the results are instant, leaving the skin fresh and radiant.
- Epidermal Leveling is my favorite because you will receive instant results with zero downtime and the added benefits of facial hair removal, which will allow for better penetration of your skincare products.
Leave A Comment
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.