Taking Care of Your Brand New Nose
Whether your nose surgery was for cosmetic or functional reasons, you want to recover as soon as possible after the surgery without experiencing any complications. At Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery, we know that your recovery is important to the overall success of your procedure. Your initial recovery will take two weeks or more, although you will have residual swelling for a few weeks. Here are some tips to give you a speedy recovery from this game-changing cosmetic procedure:
- Limit facial muscle movements — Recovery from rhinoplasty is only temporary, so try to limit laughing and smiling — being careful to not open it too hard and too wide. Keep your nose from stretching too much or from being hit. In addition to that, opt for food that is easy to chew. Limit harder foods to chew such as steak.
- Protect your nose from the sun — Unprotected sun exposure can cause permanent discoloration in your nose after rhinoplasty. Apply 30+ SPF sunscreen and wear protective clothing.
- Use the right apparel — One thing you would want to do after surgery is to wear apparel that would not require you to have physical contact on the nose area. Also, don’t wear sunglasses or reading glasses. If you need regular glasses, tape them above your bridge. During this time, avoid tops that must be pulled over your head, such as sweaters and t-shirts. Button-down shirts are your best choice as you recover, as they minimize nose movement and possible bumping while changing.
- Just do light exercises — Fitness junkies can adjust to lighter workouts that restrict the up-and-down movement of the body. Also, don’t participate in sports that put you at risk of hitting your nose. Lastly, your nose may feel tender during recovery, which makes swimming, diving, and similar exercise a temporary no-no until you’re fully healed.
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.