What Should I Look for in a Surgeon?
It is important to choose the right cosmetic surgeon no matter what procedure you wish to have done. A quality surgeon should have the right combination of skills, qualifications, and experience to provide high-quality services to each patient. You have several tools at your disposal that will help you choose the right plastic surgeon for your own procedure. Be sure to use all of them to make your final decision.
The American Board of Plastic Surgery
The first place to look when choosing any cosmetic surgeon would be the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Any physician you pick should be a member of this board, which shows they went through an extensive qualification and certification process. When considering a professional or group, don’t be afraid to inquire about membership and board certification. Additionally, you can search for doctors through the website at www.abplsurg.org.
Education and Background
Always ask about education and qualifications when choosing a cosmetic surgeon. Generally, any professional will show you all of their qualifications and this can give you more background information about them and their abilities. Most plastic surgeons will have special training, and this can often be a guideline for choosing the right doctor depending on the procedure you need. Specialty training is certainly not required and numerous surgeons are capable of handling a wide variety of procedures as well. However, if you have specific concerns about your plastic surgery, then you can inquire about specialties and special education background. Keep in mind that many plastic surgeons have medical qualifications that you may need to understand a little more. A good example of this would be an ear, nose and throat surgeon who has the medical education and can also provide the cosmetic procedures for rhinoplasty.
Asking the Right Questions
When you think you have found the right cosmetic surgeon, you still need to ask questions. If you can, either speak to the profession over the telephone or in a consultation meeting. If you ask the right questions, you will get the information you need to make your final decisions. Some of the things that you should ask include the following:
- How long have you been a cosmetic surgeon?
- Have you performed the procedure I want specifically? If so, then how many times in a year?
- How many years have you been performing this specific procedure?
- Have any of your patients' required revision surgery after their cosmetic procedure with you?
- Have you had any complaints from previous patients?
- Can you provide me with references?
If you have any further questions, be sure to ask them while you have the chance. This will make it easier for you to make the right decision.
Asking About Your Procedure
It is also a good idea to ask about your procedure specifically. Different professionals will have different opinions about the results you hope to achieve, the experience and the cost. Ask the following before choosing a cosmetic surgeon.
- Based on what I want to be done, can I expect the results I want realistically?
- How long will I need to stay in recovery before going home?
- How often will I need to come in for follow-ups during recovery?
- Will you be doing the operation specifically?
- What are the risks involved in this procedure?
- What is the cost to get the procedure done?
If you look only for board-certified plastic surgeons that have the right combination of skills, experience, and education, you should easily find the right professional for the procedure you want to be done. When you think you have found the best surgeon, be sure to ask numerous questions before making an appointment.
Leave A Comment
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.