Tummy Tuck Lingo
If you‘re considering a tummy tuck and are new to the forums and chats, it could seem like everyone there is speaking a foreign language. When the group is discussing “milking your drains” and you have no idea what they’re talking about, it might be easy to think that an abdominoplasty is not right for you. But never fear! We’re here to break down the language barrier to help you sort out all the tummy tuck lingo you need to know.
- Apron: Just like that hanging piece of cloth a baker wears around his waist, “apron” refers to that loose stomach skin that hangs down over your bikini line after having a baby or after significant weight loss.
- Binder: In this case, a binder is not a notebook you used in high school. Compression garments, often referred to as a “binder,” are worn around the abdomen after a tummy tuck to reduce swelling and help keep skin in place.
- Drains: After the procedure, the doctor will insert small drains that help keep fluid and blood from building up inside your body. In order to keep the drains clear, they must be “milked” or emptied.
- Electives: Surgeries that do not involve a medical emergency are often referred to as “electives" Sometimes these types of procedures, which can be scheduled in advance, are referred to as electives.
- Lipo: Many patients opt for a fat removal procedure, or liposuction, in conjunction with their tummy tuck. Lipo can help reduce extra abdominal fat and make a tummy tuck procedure much more effective.
- Pain Pump: in some cases, a pain pump is recommended to help reduce pain at the site of the surgery. The pump slowly feeds anesthetic directly to the sore areas, hopefully reducing the need for supplemental pain medications.
We understand that navigating the world of cosmetic procedures can be overwhelming, especially when you’re trying to learn all you can. We often find that the best bet is to schedule a consultation to get your questions answered in person. We can help explain all the details of the procedure so you can make a decision that is right for you. Give us a call today!