What To Do Before and After Your Injectable Appointment
Facial injectables are widely popular for their cosmetic role in reversing the visible signs of aging. The two most popular injectables are dermal fillers that add volume to fill in fine lines and wrinkles, while wrinkle relaxers like BOTOX® make skin look smoother. As we get older, our skin doesn't bounce back after laughing or smiling, allowing wrinkles and fine lines to stick around. BOTOX and dermal fillers can alleviate those signs of aging skin to look and feel younger.
The surgeons and professional team at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery (PVPS) in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL offer several anti-aging treatments and techniques to get that youthful glow back. BOTOX and dermal fillers like Juvéderm® and Restylane® allow Jacksonville patients to diminish those signs of aging skin and put off a more invasive procedure like a facelift. Although injectable appointments are a nonsurgical procedure, it can be intimidating for someone receiving BOTOX or fillers for the first time. Here is a helpful guideline from Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery on what to do before and after to get optimal results.
What is a liquid facelift?
Fillers, such as Juvéderm and Restylane, are used to restore fullness to the face in areas that have lost volume. Those areas are typically the lips, under the eyes, and cheeks. Products such as Restylane and Juvéderm can immediately add fullness to those areas helping individuals look younger. Dermal fillers typically last about a year or even longer. Neurotoxins, such as BOTOX or Dysport®, temporarily inhibit muscle contractions reducing wrinkles around the eyes, between the brows, around the nose, and across the forehead. Men and women can have a smoother, more wrinkle-free appearance that generally lasts about 3-4 months. Together, dermal fillers and wrinkle relaxers offer patients an overall facial rejuvenation experience, also known as a liquid facelift.
What should I do before my injectable appointment?
Before any injectable appointment, there are specific guidelines patients should follow to reduce any potential swelling or bruising at the injection sites.
- One week prior – Patients should avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin, and aspirin. Patients should also avoid specific vitamins or supplements such as garlic, primrose oil, vitamin E, St. John's Wort, and Gingko Biloba. Patients on any prescribed blood-thinning medication should speak with their health care provider before their injectable appointment.
- A couple of days prior – Patients should avoid any waxing, bleaching, or hair removal treatments. Patients should also avoid using any anti-aging products that contain retinol, retinoids, or glycolic acid.
- The day before – Patients should avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours.
What should I do after my injectable appointment?
Immediately following the appointment, patients will experience slight redness and swelling at the injection sites. These side effects should start to subside in a few hours, and patients can resume their schedule as normal. However, for the first 24 – 48 hours, Jacksonville patients should avoid the following:
- Sunbathing, saunas, hot tubs, tanning beds, or a hot wax treatment
- Touching or applying pressure to injection sites
- Over-the-counter blood-thinning medications such as ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin, and aspirin
- Facials or exfoliating treatments that can interfere with the results of facial injections
- Sleeping flat on their backs or on their sides (sleeping elevated is recommended)
- Drinking alcohol
- Strenuous exercising or yoga
Dermal fillers and BOTOX work in different ways but are often used together to complement each other. Facial expressions and repetitive muscle movements like smiling, laughing, even squinting can contribute to fine lines and wrinkles. Together BOTOX and dermal fillers are an effective combination of injectables to restore volume and reduce wrinkles by reducing muscle activity. Along with proactive skin care and following these simple guidelines before and after each injectable appointment, patients can enjoy looking younger without the need for a surgical procedure.
The experts at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery offer a wide array of nonsurgical options to men and women in the greater Jacksonville area. Facial injectables, working together with a liquid facelift, are cosmetic treatments helping individuals to fight those signs of aging skin, and the experienced team at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery can help. If you are interested in BOTOX or dermal fillers, or both, then we invite you to schedule a consultation with Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL today.