what is breast revision surgery?
Feeling unsatisfied with the results of breast augmentation is quite common, whether the dissatisfaction is caused by implant size, surgical error, or implant failure. The goal of breast revision surgery is to help achieve a more desired breast size and shape while correcting any problems you may have. At Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery in Jacksonville, FL, our team of highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeons is experienced with providing breast revision surgery to correct several issues and create outstanding improvements in the look of your breasts. Our surgeons work with you to find the best solution to your breast issue to give you the look you want and deserve.
try on your new breasts in VR (virtual reality)
Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery now offers Crisalix Virtual Aesthetics, allowing patients to try on their new breasts before the procedure! Patients are scanned into the software, where they can then choose between various sizes and even the different types of breast implants. By wearing the virtual reality headset, patients can see what they would look like from their own point of view.
what are the Reasons for Revision Surgery?
The most common reason women undergo breast revision surgery is dissatisfaction with breast implant size, whether it’s too large or too small. However, there are a wide variety of issues that can be addressed by breast revision surgery, these include:
- RUPTURED IMPLANT — If a saline implant ruptures, the implant device will deflate due to the leakage of saline. This will result in an obvious deflating of the breasts. Silicone implants will not deflate visibly; however, a break in the shell may still occur. The only true way to detect a shell break is through an MRI, which is why routine check-ups are recommended throughout the years.
- BREAST RIPPLING — Breast rippling and/or wrinkling can occur along the side of the breast, or underneath it. This occurs within saline implants resulting in an unnatural appearance under the skin. This is most common in women who are extremely thin.
- DOUBLE BUBBLE IMPLANTS — “Double bubble” is a rare complication with women who have breast implants. This occurs when the implant drops down behind the natural breast crease, or it has risen and now over-drapes (double folds) the breast. When this occurs, an unnatural indention will result in a “double” breast appearance. This is usually caused by improper breast placement from the original surgery or severe capsular contracture, which shifts the implant from its position.
- BREAST IMPLANT REMOVAL — Some women may decide later in life they no longer wish to have breast implants in place. Breast implant removal is a procedure that removes the implants and tightens the skin around the breasts to create a natural look.
- BREAST SIZE — Some women will be unhappy with their breast size following breast augmentation surgery. They may desire a secondary surgery to replace the implant with a different size, texture, or shape. Some women may want to go from saline to silicone or vice versa to achieve the results they desire.
- CAPSULAR CONTRACTURE — Scar tissue that has formed around the implant may create a capsular contracture. When this occurs, excessive tightening of the capsule will result in a hard feel of the breast. Sometimes, in order to correct this, a capsulectomy must occur. This is the removal of scar tissue from around the implant. In general, silicone implants have a higher incidence of capsular contracture (approximately 10-15% chances) than saline implants (5% chance).
- IMPLANT BOTTOMING OUT — This can occur post-surgery when an implant shifts or moves from its original location. This can also occur with aging, gravity, trauma to the chest area, or excessive scarring.
- SURGICAL ERROR — Some women are not good candidates for breast augmentation surgery. Instead, they should first have a breast lift. Women who have sagging breasts and undergo breast augmentation surgery alone will not have strong results. The breast will continue to sag further due to the increased weight of the implant.
how is breast revision surgery performed?
Patients who wish to have their implants replaced will undergo a procedure where an exchange of one or both implants may occur. These revision surgeries are generally straightforward. If scar tissue does exist around the implant, an additional step will be taken to remove this. Some patients may require a breast lift during the revision surgery. In addition, a tissue matrix device known as a STRATTICE™ may be used if added support is needed. The goal of the revision process is to resolve or overcome issues in a way that satisfies the patient’s aesthetic goals.
how long is recovery from breast revision surgery?
Breast revision surgery is performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure in an accredited surgical facility. The ease of recovery will depend on exactly what was being done during the revision process. Most women are able to resume their normal work activities after a full week of rest. Exercise will be a gradual process. It may take up to a full year for the scars to begin to fade and for the newly revised breast or chest area to look and feel natural.
Breast Revision Reviews
"If you read the many great reviews on the PVPS website, you will quickly see a theme echoing the tremendous and unique qualities of the PVPS doctors and staff. But, my wife and I thought that it will be good to share some thoughts from me, the husband…which I am glad to do! From a women’s perspective, the excitement of having this ‘change' sometimes overshadows the skepticism which is generally there with any procedure of this nature; but, for me, it was 'front and center’ because this was more than a cosmetic necessity. My wife's implants were 26 years old, and this alone, created some medical complications in what would normally be a routine procedure. However, she felt she had found the right person in Dr. Sternberg during her initial research on the web, and this was fully confirmed, beyond our expectations, during the consultation. Dr. Sternberg was empathetic about the condition of her old implants, he really listened to her and took the time to understand her fears. Unlike many plastic surgeons whom we have heard of from family members, she was not for going ‘big’. He offered options, and true concern for the athletic and natural physique that she sought. She, and I, were both so relieved to be in the care of a surgeon who really listened, and made every effort to fully understand her expectations. This was all finally confirmed as Diane prepared for the procedure, because the staff was a reflection of him! They were calm, un-rushed, and prepared Diane for the total transformation that was to happen over the next couple of hours, as well as the following days and weeks of her healing. Her ‘shape’ went from distorted, hard, disfigured foreign bodies to natural, healthy, beautiful looking breasts. What, perhaps, is most impressive about Dr. Sternberg, and his staff, is that the care and empathy in their follow-up visits has not diminished. As a husband, who cares about his wife and family deeply, I would recommend to ALL partners of someone who is going through this process, to carefully choose a doctor who not only has the skill sets and staff to complete this procedure, but the passion for detail and basic empathy that is sometimes lost in the healthcare industry today. I believe that if you look around and do you homework, you will find many skilled plastic surgeons, but finding one that is talented, passionate and empathetic to your particular situation will lead you directly to Dr. Sternberg and his staff. Besides the transformation of my wife’s “new self image", is the truly unexpected, more profound closeness that has come to our marriage. We are deeply grateful to Dr. Sternberg and his team!"- D.S. / Office Visit / Apr 04, 2017
how much does breast revision surgery cost?
The cost for a breast revision procedure can vary greatly. The final cost will depend on a number of factors, including:
- If the breast implants are being removed or replaced
- If breast replacement is occurring with a silicone or saline breast implant
- If any additional surgical technique will be needed (i.e. a capsulectomy or a breast lift)
- If the implants were covered by a manufacturer warranty
Plan Your Procedure
Get the breasts you want and deserve
Living with breasts that you don't feel comfortable with can be frustrating, embarrassing, and have a major impact on self-esteem. At Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery, we understand that. That's why our experienced surgeons have performed breast revision surgery for countless patients to help them achieve a new look that is more natural, aesthetically appealing, and in line with their body image. If you're in Jacksonville, FL, and feel you need breast revision surgery, please contact us today to learn more and schedule a private consultation. Let us remake the look of your breasts to help you achieve a new level of confidence and beauty.
Eight Reasons Women Undergo Breast Revision Surgery
Breast revision surgery is not an uncommon procedure for women after their initial augmentation surgery. Read on to learn the reasons why.Read
What to Do If Your Breast Implant Ruptures
Knowing what to do after a breast implant rupture helps you keep your overall health intact.Read
What Are The Signs You Have Capsular Contracture?
Make sure you know what warning signs and symptoms to look for that may be indicative of capsular contracture, a breast implant complication.Read
What Side Effects Can Be Expected After a Breast Implant Exchange?
A breast implant exchange can help patients achieve beautiful, natural-looking results. Learn about the side effects of secondary breast surgery here.Read